Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ode to Baked Beans

Two days had passed and still no shower,
Feeling feverish my breath smelled sour.

Starving children pulling at my legs,
It was lunchtime, and I didn't even have eggs.

No milk, no bread, not much else,
And I was so sick without any help.

But kids don't care if mom is ill,
They just want it or they start to shrill.

And then I saw it, my lifesaver on the shelf,
A can of baked beans, I wanted to yelp.

No work required, just open and heat,
And just enough sugar to get them to eat.

A break for me, Yea! I could fulfill their need,
And without too much guilt, don't beans have protein?

So today I dedicate this blog to the beans,
A bit strange I know, but heartfelt indeed.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fantastic!

You're a clever one, you are!
The only thing better would be a picture of what the kids looked like after eating the beans.